Saturday, May 19, 2012

Brooklyn Half Marathon

I ran 13.1 miles and didn't die!  Actually I didn't quite run the whole thing.  I ran the first half and then ran/walked the last half....but still!


The race started at 7am near Prospect Park and getting there was a disaster for me.  Living so close to Central Park has completely spoiled me and today I learned that commuting to a race isn't really all that fun.  NYRR recommended that we arrive by 6am since the baggage check closed at 6:20am.  I left my apartment a few minutes after 5am so I could take the subway with plenty of time to spare.  This wouldn't have been an issue but after getting off the subway at recommended stop it took TWENTY MINUTES to get above ground.  There were SO many people and only one exit.  Anyway, I made it right as the baggage check was closing so everything worked out fine but being stuck on the subway platform with a huge crowd made me way too anxious.  If I run this race next year I'm going to get off a stop before and just walk the extra distance.

Anyway, the course the beautiful and it was a perfect day for running.  It was about 60 degrees, a little breezy and very sunny.

Running down Ocean Parkway.

I'm still recovering from an achilles injury so I didn't want to push it too much.  I figured I would keep running as long as I wasn't in pain.  Turns out that was only about 7 miles.  After the 10k mark I started alternating walking with running.  I used to hate walking in races(I felt like a slacker or something) but I'm starting to be okay with it.  It's not worth injuring myself just to shave a few minutes off my time.  The bottom line is that I'm just happy I finished! 






No comments:

Post a Comment